Sunday, January 18, 2009

Conversations

***My font is doing some crazy crazy stuff... i think after a gazillion tries i've got most of it fixed. There are still sections that have wierd spacing, but if you can endure then i'd like to share with you my thoughts from this week of studying God's word.

I'm doing the "Can We Talk" (Conversations with God) bible study by Priscilla Shirer along with some other friends from different places. I'm loving the idea of being able to do it in my own home, but knowing that there are others who are participating as well. In some wierd way i feel like we're together even though we do it at different times, different paces, and different homes.

This first week the focus has been on the tongue - and the power of our words. I struggle really bad with needing complete honesty with people, but as i am learning sometimes even if it is the truth it still may not be beneficial for someone to hear. It's been challening... but i would like to share some of the conversations i have had with God through this first week of study.

James 3:8-11 No one can tame the tongue... With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethen, these things ought not be this way. Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water?

The golden part is what stuck out the most to me. These men (parents, siblings, husbands, children, teachers, friends) that we are speaking to or about are made in the image/likeness of God. I felt so convincted.

The verse from Matthew 25:40 which says - And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' kept ringing loud in my head.

I don't think He means just physical actions that we do towards people - our thoughts and words would fall under this also. We are each made in the image of God. Now just exactly what does that mean or entail? We'll never know on this side of heaven. But we do know that we are each, male and female, created in the image of God. And when i have a judgemental thought or word towards anyone, i've done it towards the Lord. I've done it towards His creation - the work of His hands.

For the rest of the week i was able to catch myself each time i wanted to instantly react with something. It was like everyone around me became beautiful because i knew the Lord created them specifically and uniquely. He took time on each of us and to dog someone because of who they are or the way they look is just straight up ignorant.

It's so fascinating to think about! May we never speak of the Lord's creation half hazardly. Let Him overwhelm you with the fact that He created you with such detail.

This next 'conversation' may be a little bit of a stretch.... but i'm going to be brave and share it anyways. If you don't agree that's totally fine - and i welcome that.

The specific focus for this day was the power of your words with your family - children and spouse.

Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband. Ephesians 5:33

I'm neither a husband or a wife... Honestly, atfirst i was like really? How does this apply to me? But i know that He is powerful enough to speak through whatever He wants... even a verse about husbands and wives. So i stuck around and followed through.

On this verse (even though i'm not a man, nor a husband) the phrase 'loving someone as himself' stuck out to me. The point here is that you should cherish someone so much that they are a part of you and you would take care of them like you take care of yourself. In order to love someone that way or even hold them that close you must have a positive healthy view of yourself.

Maybe i have a deeper problem with this than i really thought....

Maybe i need to accept who i am, love the way God created me, be okay with every little thing about myself (even the ugly things that i don't like)....

I didn't think i had an issue, but maybe i really do. My dad told me 2 years ago that i will never be able to love someone like i need to unless i love myself first. When i look at the relationships i've been in all i see is dependancy. It's like i'm trying to get my acceptance and assurance from them, and as we know... no human can give you enough of that. You will continually end up wanting more from them and expecting something from them that they are not able to give you.

You are beautiful - exactly who you are! He spent time on you! He gave you that frizzy hair, those crooked teeth, the half-pointed/half-rounded nose, messed up toes, that gene for obesity or addiction, those emotions that you wear on your shoulders.... He did not mess up on you. He created you uniquely with so much detail! And He did it in His likeness!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when i was made in the secret place. When i was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! Psalm 139:13-15,17

Praise Him! You are fearfully and wonderfully made... the work of His hands... and in the likeness of God himself.


conversations my sisters have had...
Cari
Karen

No comments: