Thursday, September 9, 2010

Debrief


First off, why does this short week seem so stinkin' long?

The three day weekend was absolutely amazing. On Friday night I went to bed at 8:30 and didn't wake up until 9:30 the next morning. That's correct.... 13 hours of sleep.

Saturday morning I went for a jog, took my time getting ready, and then went to Shreveport to have a little me time.

Me time plus mom.

We shopped. We laughed. We enjoyed each other.

And hello, how gorgeous was that weather?

Sunday... I can't really recall what happened on Sunday.

All day Monday was spent in my classroom preparing for the following day and getting a few "administration" things done. You know, paperwork, deadlines, grading, procedures that need to be re-thought through. (And one of my best friends, Mary, is moving to Philly.... we had our goodbye dinner that evening as well..... sad sad sad face. Makes this "we're growing up" thing become even more real.)

It's been three weeks since I started this first year of teaching journey. Totally cannot believe that it's already been three weeks. And with that, now I share my beef with you....

why must every deadline be TOMORROW?

Seriously people. Not sure who planned that, but i'd gladly help them rethink that one through.
Moving on.

Each day has it's own challenge, but praise the Lord I still leave at the end of the day realizing how much I love this job. It's so time consuming, yet satisfying. It's an all day (especially mentally) job, yet totally worth it.

I have a lot to do this weekend. Lots of things to re-think about our classroom. Not everything works for every student. Not everything works for every teacher. And there isn't a one size fits all for how a classroom should be run.

I'm finding that this is a place where we (all) learn to be flexible. You learn how to relate to people, how to communicate with people (on a completely different level than you), how to understand people, how to deal with people, and how to handle situations with so many differing personalities/backgrounds/beliefs/etc..

Designing the flow of a classroom to work specifically for me and my kids is challenging, but i'm up for it! What works for lady across the hall may completely fall through in our room.

It makes the task a little more exciting!

And goodnight...

No comments: