Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer

Goodness!

Things have been pretty busy (in a good, fun way) here lately and I haven't posted very often at all.

The week after school got out we had Vacation Bible School at our church. This is my 3rd year (I believe) to lead music and it's always such a blessing and loads of fun! I, seriously, get excited each year to go to the meetings and get my materials so that I can start planning. We had our program on Thursday night of that week and then ended bible school on Friday.

Then, on Sunday we loaded the vans at 6:15 am to head towards Florida. Our youth choir was on board to Orlando for Sonpower and the sister and I were excited about joining them on their trip. We really had a good time!

I had two girls in my room, both of whom were home-schooled, and it was really fun spending a week with them minus the "your momma" jokes at midnight. Thankfully, I woke up with "new mercies" and a better attitude! :)

I have to say, I do not wish that I can go back to my teen years. Being on this side (as a sponsor) and reliving all that you struggle through at that age made me appreciate that fact that I survived that crazy season! Half-way kidding.

The picking on others started the first night at our hotel and I couldn't do it. Fears of being labeled the 'uncool' sponsor worried me, but I couldn't help but stand up simply because I remember that uncomfortable feeling of being the 'uncool' one back in Junior High. Thankfully, the uneasy-ness of gently reminding them to "be kind" drifted away after that first time.

We got to hear Shaun Groves speak - and might I add, he is a genuine man! I couldn't wait for bible study each night! One of my favorite sermons was when he shared that we don't have to wait til' Thursday to have our guilty alter call where we pour out our hearts and tears because we gave our all and totally messed up the past year and promise to do better this year. Instead, we can rest in knowing that we all have been there and messed up as well, and as followers of Christ we can live in the daily place of realizing that we are going to fall, but that He stands there with open arms extending grace every time. I thought it was the perfect message for youth.

The Micah Watson Band lead worship for us and it was great as well.

The rest of the week was spent in rehearsal preparing for our recording session that would be on Friday. We also had one mission project that involved handing out brochures for a local churches VBS. And Wednesday we got a free day, which was spent at Universal Studioes. It was way fun, minus the creepy contacts guy on stilts at the Mummy ride. I don't do scary eyes.

The girls that I had been spending lots of hours, giggles, inside jokes, and quality time with opened up about boys and relationships approximately an hour away from being home. I took in every second despite the fact that it was short-lived. They were wide-eyed, respsonsive, and open to share their fears, thoughts, desires, etc..

We arrived back home late Saturday evening where we learned that dad killed a copperhead with a 2 x 4 because it was blocking the doorway and he had nothing else to kill it with... and then we attended church and the Night Of Praise the following night.

Many Fun Times!!!

When I layed down in MYYYYY bed Sunday night my body breathed in the sweet fact that I had zero plans for the next few days!!!

So here I sit, trying not to freak out about buying my first car (yes, I finally did it!!! ahhhhh... eek!!!) and working on "school things" from home so that I can better manage my time when the year starts and continuing through-out the school year.

On a side note, I bought some super cute decorative wall stickers for the two bathrooms in my classroom! I'm totally pumped! Just hope they turn out like i'm envisioning!!!

Hope you are enjoying your summer! I may not be back for two and a half weeks!

Love you all!

No comments: