Saturday, January 30, 2010

Are We There Yet?





Well, we did it! We completed our first Half-Marathon today and it was one of the neatest experiences i've ever had. This next statement will show you how truly nerdy I am, but yes - I almost cried.

We (Mom, Karen, Mary and I) got lost trying to find our hotel Friday evening - apparently someone thought it would be funny to hack into google map and send helpless women to the ghetto lost and all alone. (Okay... so maybe that's not what happened, but we did get lost.) Our directions lead us to a very scary neighborhood in Dallas where we ended up in a culdesac. You have reached your destination. Umm no - unless the Holiday Inn has changed since the last time we stayed there.

After about 45 minutes of driving around Dallas laughing we finally reached our "home" for the night. Come to find out we were the fifth guests to call and ask for directions claiming that google map sent us to the wrong location.

We ate a dinner full of CARBS, checked to make sure we knew where we were headed in the morning (since the directions can no longer be trusted), and then headed back to the hotel to get in the bed. When we pulled into the parking lot...... it started snowing.

And we all busted into laughter.

This evening just keeps getting better. I believe mom and Karen's comment was, "Yall have fun running in that!"

Thankfully we didn't wake up to snow... that would have been brutal. Although, when mom cranked the car it said - possible ice. To which we laughed again. Who's idea was it to run in January with a forecast of 29-40 degrees?

It was 28 degrees with a wind-chill of 16 degrees and there was ice on the ground along certain parts of the path. Mary is a hoss.... she didn't have on near as many layers as I did. Me? Six layers on my chest, two on my bottom. Amazingly, I was never cold and never hot. Perfectly insulated.

On a side note - you do not realize how many songs have the words run, running, keep going, hold on, or something similar. Around mile 8 I decided to turn on the iPod (which is very hard to do with it attached to your bicep while running at the same time... I'm sure I looked quite humorous) and the first song that came on had these lyrics -

You and I will run.... You and I will run, forever.

Slightly humorous, yet very appropriate.

It was a wonderful time of worship and it seemed like the right song came on just when I needed to hear it. He is good like that.... and has a sense of humor! :)

On mile 12 I heard Mary quoting scripture - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Made me laugh! My iPod was playing - 'cause I believe always, always, our Savior never fades. Even when all hope is gone, God knows our pain and His promise remains - He will be with You always! Very much appropriate again. That last mile can sneak up on you... especially when you're running into the wind. But we finished.

Our time ended up being 2 hours and 20 minutes. We weren't expecting to be done til' closer to three hours so mom and Karen didn't get to see us cross the finish line. Still we were so very excited and overwhelmed at what we had just accomplished!

Thank you, Lord, for this weekend and experience. You have blessed me with wonderful friends and family! Thank you so much for protecting my knees and giving us safe travel. You kept our bodies warm and surprised us with a quicker time than we expected! The laughter and memories formed were so much fun! We love You! And give You all the honor and glory!


1 comment:

Christina said...

That is awesome!!! Congrats! Iam so proud of you.