Friday, August 13, 2010

Thankful

Mom and I were in my classroom putting up curtains and bulletin boards one day last week and as I was jumping down from one of the bookcases it was like something switched in my head and heart.... and I was immediately thankful.

I have legs. I have youthful young legs that work. I'm able to do things now that I won't be able to do as easily in years to come. And in that moment it wasn't just my mind that was aware, my heart was truly thankful.

It made me want to squat, and bend, and run, and jump, and climb, and push myself harder than I typically push even when I get worn out. All because I am able and may not always be.

So if you don't mind, i'm going to take a moment to be thankful tonight. Thankful for things that we seem to over look. Thankful for things that might sound silly. Nevertheless, thankful.

I am thankful for my sweet mother who has spent hours (sometimes late hours) helping me get things ready in and for my classroom. I'm thankful for the items that she has payed for when I didn't have the money. I am so thankful for her willing heart and how much she loves me. And I am thankful that, for whatever reason, He saw fit for us to be on the same campus again this year.

I am thankful for my job. For a familiar working place, fellow employees, team, students, routine, and campus - I can't tell you the amount of stress that has taken off this first year teacher. I don't know why God placed me here and, honestly, it's been a huge challenge and step of faith, but this is where He has me and I'm learning to trust even when I can't feel certain things.

I am thankful for my God. There are days when i'm just not sure that I am capable of this. And there are days when i'm begging Him to fill me with some kind of something to get me through.... and sometimes He doesn't come right in that moment when I think He should. But in His time, He shows up and I feel revived. I cannot stress enough that this job would not happen without my Jesus. He is, literally, my everything. And I am so thankful for Him.

I am thankful for praying friends. I don't even think I know what to say in response to their prayers, except that I am thankful. They don't just pray - they let me know they are praying... continually. And that is huge.

I am thankful for a free Saturday. Every day between now and the first day of school was packed with somewhere to be and something to do. The activity for this Saturday got cancelled, and I'm choosing to do something non-school before this year takes over. And so for that, I am thankful.

I am thankful that somehow I managed to get my classroom set up, organized, and ready for children to enter before I started work on Wednesday. Now I have an entire week to read through my lesson plans, gather materials, make copies, and finish last minute things that I may have forgotten. And i'm thankful for a helpful first grade team who offered to do my lesson plans the first six weeks so that I can get myself used to the routine of being an actual teacher... not to mention that i'm friends with the teacher whose spot I am taking and she left me all of her files and lesson plans from last year! :)

I am thankful for eyes that realize that I won't always be young. I've reached that age where the reality of getting older is sinking in. For so long growing up is fun, and reaching certain ages is "cool" and all sorts of things.... then it's like it hits you in about your mid-twenties that you are not going to be "young" much longer. For the first time, it's been kinda hard to soak up and swallow. So i'm choosing to be thankful for where I am right now - the single life and freedom to be just me until He sees fit to bring someone along, the flat stretch mark free belly that most women tend to overlook until after they have their first child, the ability to get up at any moment and go hang out with friends without having to find a sitter, the color of my hair before age takes its toll, and many more things.

I don't say these to be weird or to make anyone feel a certain way... i'm just truly thankful this week (as I should be daily) for all that He has blessed me with. I'm going to cease this moment and all that it has to offer me. When the next stage in life comes, it will bring all new things to be thankful for, but I don't want to waste this moment wishing for and wondering what the next moment/stage will be like.

What are you thankful for in your stage and circumstance of life?

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the father through Him. Col. 3:17

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Th. 5:18

Give thank to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever. Ps. 107:1

**I came across this post at Chatting at the Sky. You should definitely check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I am thankful for a daughter who is thankful. I have to say it has been fun and challenging to watch you organize your room just like you want it. God has reminded me over and over that this is not my room and not about me. I am so glad He has blessed you with a sprirt who cares to have everything in order before your students arrive. I know you will face challenges as the students enter on that first day but remember, He is always with you. God uses each challenge you experience to mold you into that person of significance and execellence He wants you to be. Accept those trials that come as his training and allow him to build greatness in you. He will reveal your wonderful potential if you will let him. Thank you God for seeing more in us then we see in ourself. Help Megan to show love and compassion to each student that enters her classroom. Help her to recognize each students potentail and build in each of them the desire to reach that potential! To you be all glory God. Amen
I love you Megan. Thank you for asking your old momma to help you. It has truly been my blessing to be a part of helping you prepare your very first classroom for you and your 1st grade students!
Blessings to you my sweet daughter,
Mom