Sunday, November 28, 2010

Purpose: Set Apart

Last weekend we made a quick trip to Mississippi for my grandparents (dad's side) 60th wedding anniversary!

It's always fun to spend time at their house. Without the normal activities available at our finger tips, Casie and I are forced to find things to do. We enjoy chasing cows on the four wheeler, or you know just riding it in general, and sitting on the back porch and starring into space. No, really. Why is that so peaceful? We typically have books with us that we are reading and so we'll sit on the porch swing and enjoy the outdoors while reading.

We went to church with them on Sunday morning and the pastor preached a whole sermon on Romans 1:1. One verse.

Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel...

The part that I want to focus on for this post is the last part of the verse and the point he made there. Paul was a servant of Jesus. He was called. And he was set apart. for. the. gospel.

To put it in plainer terms - Paul's purpose in life, as a follower of Christ, was to be set apart.

Immediately I began to think about my job. Because even though i'm not traveling the world telling people about Jesus Christ, I am a servant of Jesus, I am called right now to be a teacher, and my life should be set apart for the gospel.

If you are a believer, then your purpose is the same. And your job, no matter what it may be, is the avenue in which the Lord wants to use you to reach those that you come in contact with.

But to take it farther and more personal for myself, I believe that satan wants to use our completely packed full to do lists, all the requirements and things that we are asked to do in our job, and all the overwhelming stress that comes with it to take our eyes away from our purpose.

I believe he wants us to be so busy with getting things done that we lose our focus.

(Pause... Have you ever heard the acrostic for busy? Bound Under Satans Yoke)

I know personally I have missed so many opportunities to simply love on some children... because i'm suppose to fit a certain amount of teaching time into my schedule and i'm telling you, it's nearly impossible. I get so focused on creating and planning and following through and documenting that I forget why He placed me there in the first place.

To be a light. To love.

It's not about making money. It's not about getting every thing done. It's not about being satisfied with yourself for accomplishing everything that you set out to do. It's not about fame. It's not anything to do with self. It's about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Are you busy? Have you lost focus? Maybe you (I) need to adjust your lense, your zoom, and turn your eyes back on Jesus to regain focus.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

In the light of Jesus, the weight of my to do list is lifted...

2 comments:

Katy said...

great post!! Love you!

CDJ said...

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing:)