Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Habla Espanol?

Since the end of the school year is approaching there is a lot of testing going on right now. With that being the case, each day there is the possibility that I could get pulled from one place and moved into another. Today I got moved into a 1st grade bilingual classroom with about 20 kids who spoke spanish. The teacher was right outside the class testing individual students throughout the day incase I needed her, but I managed to make it fine.

With high school and college combined i've had about 3 years (six semesters) of spanish. You would think I'd be a pro by now, but i'm so not. I know the correct sounds for all the letters which means that I can read it very well. Remembering all the meanings for the words is the hard part for me. My brain can only hold so much information. Okay, so I was a terrible slacker when it came to foreign language. I knew what I could do to get an A or B in the course and that's exactly what I did... but I didn't learn/study enough to be able to really use it.

It's days like today when I wish I would have payed more attention in those classes.

Have you ever heard that music students do best with foriegn language classes? (Totally irrelevant - just popped in my head.)

I had fun testing out my spanish skills today. The kids quizzed me on my colors and a few verbs. I tried to speak as much as i could to them in Spanish - even if it was only one or two words - I got the point across. They thought it was silly and I felt super cool so it was a win/win situation! haha!

I do catch myself wanting to speak with an accent now... my thoughts even have an accent... do you do that too? You know how you hang around someone for so long and you start picking up their speaking habits. I've got to get this out of my system before I get to church tonight.

Adios!

No comments: