Saturday, May 9, 2009

Saturday Afternoon

Okay, since I heard so many people talking about it... I bought the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels at Target this past week. One of these days i'm determined to get to it. Now I know that everytime I mention working out people roll their eyes at me, but I just want some kind of physical activity in my life. I never work out and i'm so out of shape. Mom was with me when I got it and decided to get her a workout DVD also - Dancing with the Stars.

She's currently 'Dancing with the Stars' right infront of me and i'm about to lose it. She needs a little more practice on the hips, if you ask me. If I knew she wouldn't totally kill me i'd video tape her and post it to this blog. Better be glad it's Mother Day weekend otherwise I might have done it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally got my hair cut today at Salon Pink in Longview. Thursday evening I drove by around 8 to see their hours of business, and there happened to be 3 of the 23 hair stylist still inside. They were able to schedule me for 2 days later. Yay for that!

The girl who did my hair seemed to be in her mid 20's. While she was cutting my hair I noticed this picture collage of a baby boy on her wall. There were also pictures all over her vanity of the same little boy. Then I saw it - November 2008 through March 2009. That's less than 2 months ago? O my goodness... I would have never known, she's so friendly and seems to be doing okay. Would it be rude if I asked about him? Surely not if she has this many pictures up.

So I did it.

Do you mind if I ask what happened with your son?
Oh, no mam. We lost him to SIDS; one of those unexplainable things. He was actually born with Cleft lip. We took him to Dallas to have surgery and he passed away a week later.

I sat there trying to decide what to say. When I got in my car to leave the thoughts were flooding my mind - you could have said this or this or this. Doesn't it always happen that way? I wanted to offer some kind of encouragement, but I had nothing.

She has the perfect job to use her sons story as a witness. Tons of people from all different backgrounds come into that salon on a daily basis. Her son's loss wasn't a surprise to God - we know that. But I wonder if she did?

Whether she knew it or not, God used that moment to remind me that there is far more going on here than we'll ever understand. Everything that happens to us has an eternal purpose; a bigger picture than we could ever imagine. Any person we come in contact with may need to hear our story or see how we handle our journey. We never know all that is going on.

She was an encouragement to me today!
----------------------------------------------------------


Now, if you need something more interesting to read, here are some of my favorite findings from this week.

Mckmama gives some Natural Cleaning Ideas


Emily, at Chatting at the Sky, shares some advice for mothers who photograph their children.


And take a look at The Nester's Fabric File-To Go - what an awesome idea!


Oh, and ummm, mom is now eating ice cream. So much for that work out. She claims that it's just enough to get her up and going again. sure.

No comments: