Friday, July 18, 2008

He will carry you

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Psalm 68:19

You know what i like about this verse right here? The two words - daily bears.... It doesn't just say my God knows my burdens, it says He bears them. And daily. Not just every now and then, when He thinks about it, or when we cry loud enough... Daily He bears our burdens. I have the Zondervan NIV Exhaustive Concordance from my freshman year at OBU..... who would have known the teacher was right when he encouraged us to keep these books for the future. (ha) It seems to me that bears in this verse is being used in the sense of carrying or upholding. I also googled the definition of bear. Here are some of the things i found.
  1. Take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person
  2. To endure something with tolerance and patience
  3. To hold up; support
First off, a lot of the time it's our own sin that is causing such a weight and burden on our hearts. Christ died for those sins LONG ago on the cross... He stood in the middle for us. He died for OUR sins, the ones we hadn't even commited yet. He bore ALL of those many years ago... He nailed them to the cross. You know the song that says something like- He payed the debt for me... I owe a debt that i can never pay. Can you imagine the pain He must have felt that day? Not just physically, but bearing the weight of ALL of our sins? And to think that daily He still carries all our burdens - not just mine, but yours too! That amazes me! That's A LOT of bearing! Only He is capable! He is!

Jesus payed it all, all to Him i owe... sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.

Secondly, i think about how it says daily and how one of the definition talks about enduring with tolerance and patience. Daily means that tomorrow He will STILL be standing there waiting - bearing our burdens. You think He'd get tired of it. But He doesn't. He knows that it's coming again tomorrow too, but He still loves us enough that He will CONTINUE to carry us, sustain us, and hold us. I'm thinking if He has that much patience and tolerance for me, i should try a little harder to have patience... not only with others, but also with myself. I need to endure with patience! I need to trust in Him - He will carry me THROUGH - not take it AWAY, but carry me through. And with patience i should walk right beside Him until i see it finished.

Now to hold up; support. Let's look at scripture!

Isaiah 46:4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
Col 1:17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
1Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Ps 55:22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 53:4-5;11-12 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. After the suffering of his soul he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities. Therefore i will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Age to age He is the same! He never changes! His character. His love. He will always be there to love you, to carry you, to hold you together... to bless you. He bore your sins on the cross - the most painful, humiliating death ever. And He continues to daily bear your burdens. He knows YOU, He knows your pain, your thoughts... and He promises that if you just trust in Him, cast your anxieties on Him - He will sustain you!

No comments: